Monday, March 16, 2015

Monday Music Break: One Toke Over the Line

This is one for your "now I've seen it all" file. Lawrence Welk and the fresh-faced-and-glassy-eyed Gail and Dale, with the "modern spiritual", One Toke Over the Line:   


Watch old Larry the Whelk -- you can't see even a glimmer of a knowing grin, not even an ironic raise of the eyebrow, as he introduces this "modern spiritual"...

Modern spiritual, huh? As you might expect, Mike Brewer and Tom Shipley, the song's writers and original performers, just happen to see it a little differently...

2 Comments:

evodevo said...

I've seen that clip several times - I just can't believe that NO ONE in the orchestra (musicians? srsly?) or production crew knew what was being referred to in the song! I'd love to know the backstory.

double nickel said...

It's my favourite music video ever.